Strawberry cookies made with actual strawberries! These cookies are tender with barely crispy edges and a thick, chewy center. You’ll be able to high them with a light-weight glaze or roll them in sugar.
I used to be about to make our lemon drop cookies a couple of months in the past once I acquired the good concept that if a sweet might be blended to taste a cookie, absolutely freeze dried fruit may as properly. Positive sufficient, a summer season strawberry cookie was born!
I assumed strawberry was the best possible taste as a child. Now I really are likely to go extra raspberry out of the berry household (curious what you all would choose), however my youngsters are for positive on the childhood bandwagon of recent, juicy crimson strawberries. They love that these cookies are dense and chewy however they’ve the choose of rolling in sugar or topping with a crackly glaze.
I personally desire to make a lemon glaze to brighten up these candy cookies, however you are able to do no matter makes you cheerful!
Substances for Strawberry Cookies
Many of the strawberry cookie recipes on the market use strawberry cake combine or strawberry pudding to get the strawberry taste (actually we’ve got our personal strawberry pudding cookie recipe right here on the weblog), however I really like utilizing actual strawberries on this recipe to get that true strawberry taste. Here’s what you will want to make these cookies:
For the Cookies
- Freeze Dried Strawberries: Don’t use recent strawberries. They may add an excessive amount of moisture to the dough and make the cookies cakey.
- Sugar: common granulated white sugar
- Butter Flavored Shortening: You can too use common shortening (you’ll lose somewhat richness in taste) or simply common butter however they find yourself extra dry with simply butter.
- Unsalted Butter: softened, mixed with the shortening, the cookies are tender and nonetheless wealthy in taste
- Eggs: add construction to the cookies
- Vanilla: provides taste
- Strawberry Extract: only for somewhat increase in taste
- Flour: use all-purpose flour
- Baking Soda: leavening agent to provide the cookies rise and fluffiness
- Baking Powder: leavening agent that works with the baking soda to assist the cookies rise
- Salt: enhances all of the flavors
For the Glaze
- Powdered Sugar: provides sweetness and construction to the glaze
- Milk or Water: milk might be somewhat extra wealthy in taste
- Lemon Juice: I really like so as to add somewhat lemon juice to provide a pleasant taste burst to the cookie, however it’s completely optionally available.
- BONUS: You might additionally add somewhat strawberry extract to the glaze if you need much more strawberry taste.
- Sugar: Roll the cookie dough balls in sugar earlier than baking for those who desire that as a substitute of the glaze.
The measurements for all of the substances and the directions for making these cookies can all be discovered within the recipe card on the finish of this submit. Try the video beneath to see how these cookies come collectively…
Summer season Strawberry Cookies Recipe Video
What are Freeze Dried Strawberries?
Freeze dried strawberries are actual strawberries which have gone via a freeze drying course of the place all of the moisture is eliminated. No sugar or another components are add, and the flavour and vitamins are left behind. They find yourself being fairly crunchy and are literally actually scrumptious to eat on their very own. They’re additionally shelf secure as soon as they’re freeze dried.
The place to Purchase Freeze Dried Strawberries
You could find freeze dried strawberries at any grocery retailer. Examine within the wholesome meals part or by different dried fruits like raisins, prunes, craisins, and so on. I really discovered an enormous 10 gallon can of freeze dried strawberries yesterday within the meals storage/shelf secure part. You can too purchase them on Amazon.
Why You Will Love These Cookies
- Straightforward: This recipe is straightforward to make and follows the everyday cookie making directions. My youngsters like to make these cookies.
- Taste: The scrumptious strawberry taste is added from the freeze dried strawberries giving actual strawberry taste.
- Shade: I really like the colour that these cookies find yourself being. It’s pure wanting and subtly pink.
- Child Pleasant: Strawberries are such a child favourite that I’ve by no means met a child that didn’t love these cookies.
- Feed a Crowd: This recipe makes 4-5 dozen cookies so there’s loads to feed a giant group or to freeze and save for one more day.
- Retailer Effectively: You’ll be able to freeze the dough or the baked cookies and they’re going to maintain for as much as 3 months.
These strawberry cookies are so versatile. You’ll be able to gown them up or maintain them easy. Listed here are a couple of concepts for variations:
- Add white chocolate chips to make them strawberries and cream cookies.
- Gently stir in small chunks of the freeze dried strawberries into the dough earlier than baking for much more strawberry taste.
- Make the glaze a lemon glaze utilizing recent lemon juice. It tastes like you might be ingesting strawberry lemonade!
- Sprinkle some floor up freeze dried strawberries on high of the glaze for extra coloration.
- Mix some freeze dried strawberry powder with the sugar earlier than rolling the dough within the sugar.
Tips on how to Retailer Cookies
As soon as the cookies have cooled utterly, retailer them in an hermetic container or ziplock bag. They may maintain for 3-4 days at room temperature or for as much as every week within the fridge.
You can too freeze both the cookie dough balls or the baked cookies. To freeze the dough balls, scoop all of the dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place the sheet within the freezer for at the least half-hour. As soon as they’ve frozen, you may place them in a ziplock bag or container. You’ll be able to then bake them from frozen (including a couple of further minutes to the baking time) or allow them to come to room temperature after which bake them in line with the directions within the recipe.
To freeze the baked cookies, allow them to cool utterly after which stack them in a freezer-safe container. Wait so as to add the glaze till proper earlier than serving.
Strawberry desserts are one among my love languages (whats up strawberry shortcake!!), and these strawberry cookies have me swooning! The freeze dried strawberries add the actual strawberry taste we love.
Extra Fruity Cookies You Will Love:
Preheat oven to 350 levels.
In a blender, mix the strawberries right into a nice powder.
3/4 Cup Freeze Dried Strawberries
In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening and butter for 1-2 minutes after which add eggs; add flavorings.
1 1/4 Cups Sugar, 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, 1 massive Egg, 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon Strawberry Extract
Stir in dry substances.
2 Cups Flour, 3/4 teaspoons Baking Soda, 3/4 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Salt
In the meantime put together the glaze (if utilizing).
Let cool barely on pan for 1-2 minutes.
For the Glaze
Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with milk or water (or lemon juice).
3 Cups Powdered Sugar, 3 Tablespoons Milk, or Water
Brush glaze over cookie tops.
Let cookies cool utterly.
- If utilizing common shortening the cookies might not be as buttery. All shortening is the softest cookie, however not as flavorful so you may mess around with the recipe; all shortening, all butter, half and half.
- You need to use somewhat strawberry extract or lemon juice for those who desire within the glaze.
Cookies could be frozen for as much as 3 months.