This vanilla layer cake is the one cake that everybody must know the way to make. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s splendidly easy and completely heavenly.
The Finest Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
I’ve been experimenting with vanilla desserts for years now attempting to get the flavour and texture good. It’s a little bit of a working joke. However in an try and fulfill everybody and all of the completely different preferences on the market, I’ve arrived at a number of variations of vanilla cake and cupcakes over time with a view to please everybody.
This recipe is my most up-to-date and “last” recipe. I’ve taken all the suggestions over time included into this cake. It has all the issues you may need in a vanilla cake. The cake itself is mild and fluffy however with sufficient substance to chew into. It’s completely moist and topped with a wealthy buttercream frosting that’s simply to die for. The seek for the right vanilla cake is over. I can’t wait so that you can see (or style, somewhat) what I imply.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Vanilla Cake
A easy, simple, moist vanilla layer cake? Everybody wants one of their recipe assortment. Listed here are a couple of the explanation why this one, particularly, is 100% vital for each baker to strive.
- Texture. Creaming collectively the butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract till they’re fluffy offers this cake a splendidly ethereal texture. In contrast to desserts that solely make the most of egg whites, nevertheless, this one makes use of complete eggs. The inclusion of the yolks offers the cake the right quantity of substance and richness. So it’s not too ethereal and never too heavy. It’s good. Plus, the addition of oil makes the vanilla cake completely moist.
- Flavorful. I like the delicate vanilla taste of this cake. It makes it universally loveable. Using butter along with oil offers the cake further richness and taste as effectively. It’s severely so good.
- Easy recipe. Whereas you’ll nonetheless should observe a number of steps to make the batter, this recipe requires an easier mixing technique than many different desserts with out compromising texture or taste.
- Versatile. Everybody wants a easy vanilla cake of their life. It’s the good canvas for quite a lot of completely different fillings and frostings. I used a vanilla buttercream right here however be at liberty to experiment! Take a look at the part beneath titled “Adorning Ideas & Concepts” for inspiration.
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a listing of elements you will have to make this simple vanilla cake. Be sure to scroll to the recipe card beneath for detailed measurements.
- All-purpose flour – You wish to be certain to not over measure your flour, or you may find yourself with dry, dense cake. Be at liberty to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as a substitute.
- Baking powder – On the subject of vanilla cake, I favor baking powder over baking soda. It offers the cake a pleasant bakery-style texture and retains the colour lighter.
- Salt – All the time wanted for taste.
- Unsalted butter – The butter should be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Vegetable oil – The vegetable oil provides a pleasant moistness to this cake.
- Sugar – Sugar provides each sweetness and moisture and impacts the ultimate texture of the cake.
- Vanilla extract – A superb high quality extract is advisable for nice vanilla taste.
- Eggs – They need to be massive eggs (not medium or further massive) and it’s best that they’re at room temperature in order that they incorporate extra simply with the opposite elements.
- Milk – I take advantage of 2% milk however be at liberty to make use of complete milk. The fats within the milk provides moisture and texture to the cake.
- Unsalted butter – The butter must be at room temperature so that you just don’t get a lumpy frosting.
- Powdered sugar – This provides quantity to the frosting and impacts the consistency. Much less powdered sugar gives you a thinner frosting that doesn’t maintain up as effectively to issues like piping, and extra powdered sugar gives you a stiffer frosting that stays precisely the place you set it.
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream – This provides a beautiful creaminess to the frosting and can be utilized to skinny it out if it will get too thick.
- Salt – For taste. It additionally can assist minimize down on the sweetness.
- Sprinkles – I used a combination that’s much like these sprinkles. Be at liberty to make use of your favourite.
Make Vanilla Layer Cake
Right here’s a fast overview of the way to make this simple vanilla layer cake. You’ll want to scroll to the recipe card beneath for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Prep. Line the underside of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles and grease the perimeters. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract till mild in shade and fluffy.
- Add the eggs separately, mixing to mix after every addition.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the dry elements to the batter and blend to mix. Slowly add the milk and blend to mix. Add the remaining dry elements and blend till clean.
- Bake. Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool. Take away the desserts from the oven and permit them to chill for 2-3 minutes earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill utterly.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter till clean.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the powdered sugar. Combine till clean. Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt. Combine till clean. Add the remaining powdered sugar. Combine till clean.
- Refine the consistency. If the frosting is simply too thick, add further heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend till clean. Take a look at my tutorial on the way to get the proper consistency of frosting.
To assemble the cake
- Take away the domes from the highest of the desserts with a big serrated knife.
- Stack. Place the primary cake on a serving plate and unfold 1 cup of frosting excessive. Repeat with the second layer and the third.
- Frost the skin of the cake. Discuss with my tutorial for frosting a clean cake, if wanted.
- Embellish. Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake and pipe swirls of frosting across the high edge. Add a couple of extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake.
Ideas for Success
Are you feeling intimidated by the thought of creating a layer cake? Don’t be. You are able to do this! Simply observe these easy ideas and methods to get one of the best outcomes attainable.
- Measure flour appropriately. One of many greatest errors individuals make is over or underneath measuring flour. Most frequently the flour is over measured and it offers you a dry cake. I extremely suggest utilizing a meals scale and weighing your flour to keep away from this. In the event you favor to not use a meals scale, I like to recommend the spoon and stage technique.
- Room temperature elements. The butter within the batter must be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla and you’ll find your self with a very dense cake. The eggs also needs to be at room temperature. They may incorporate extra simply with the opposite elements which is able to assist to forestall over-mixing. The butter within the buttercream must be at room temperature as effectively. Whether it is too chilly, you’ll find yourself with a lumpy frosting.
- Don’t skimp on creaming time. When beating collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla, accomplish that till the combination is mild in shade and good and fluffy. This could take 2-3 minutes. This may assist make the cake itself mild and fluffy.
- Don’t over combine. Over mixing the cake batter after you add the flour will trigger the glutens within the flour to overdevelop. This gives you a troublesome, dense cake.
- Scrape the bowl. As you might be including elements to the batter and mixing to include them, make sure you scrape the perimeters of the bowl periodically. This may deliver any elements caught to the bowl again into the batter.
- Cool earlier than frosting. It’s important that you just enable the desserts to chill utterly earlier than stacking, filling, and frosting. If they’re too heat, the frosting will soften proper off the cake.
Adorning Ideas & Concepts
I coated this moist, fluffy vanilla cake with white buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles however one of many nice issues about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. Listed here are a couple of enjoyable methods to make it your personal.
- Shade your frosting. Add a few drops of gel meals coloring to the buttercream so as to add shade to this dessert. You may shade the entire cake or simply pipe some coloured swirls on high.
- Add a drip. Elevate your cake and use my tutorial for including a chocolate (or white chocolate) drip.
- Embellish with buttercream rosettes. Much like this ice cream cake tutorial, you need to use buttercream to high your cake with stunning and straightforward rosettes.
- Sprinkles. I like including sprinkles to my desserts. Preserve it slightly extra reserved, just like the cake within the pictures, or press sprinkles all the way in which up the perimeters. There are a number of enjoyable choices.
- Use different meals. I like utilizing different meals for adorning! Organize contemporary fruit on high, add some toasted coconut or cookie crumbs, or high along with your favourite sweet. All would look nice!
Can I Use This Recipe To Make Cupcakes?
Sure! You may truly discover that recipe in my Simple Selfmade Vanilla Cupcakes. The recipe is minimize in half and makes about 12-14 cupcakes. You’ll make the cake batter and buttercream as regular (simply much less of it), add the batter to cupcake liners after which bake for 15-18 minutes.
Retailer a Frosted Layer Cake
After cooling and frosting, switch the cake to an hermetic cake provider or wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap. In the event you go the plastic wrap route, I counsel utilizing toothpicks to prop the plastic wrap away from the buttercream swirls.
Alternatively, you may slice the cake and organize the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. In any case, retailer the cake at room temperature for as much as 24 hours or within the fridge for as much as 4 days. This cake is greatest loved at room temperature, so when you select to refrigerate it, let it sit on the counter for an hour or so earlier than diving it.
Can I Freeze Layer Cake?
You may! I usually suggest freezing the layers previous to frosting. Wrap them effectively in clear wrap and aluminum foil previous to freezing. Thaw the cake layers in fridge previous to frosting. In the event you’d like, you may strive freezing the complete cake. In that case, pop the absolutely frosted cake within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. You can too slice the cake and wrap the person slices in clear wrap and foil. Retailer the cake within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw the cake within the fridge in a single day earlier than permitting it to come back to room temperature earlier than serving.
Extra Vanilla Cake Recipes:
Vanilla desserts are the king of all desserts and as I discussed earlier than, I’ve received many to strive. This moist vanilla layer cake is my absolute favourite however listed here are another fabulous recipes so that you can strive.
Everybody must know the way to make this moist vanilla layer cake. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s completely heavenly.
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all objective flour (measured correctly)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 massive eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) milk, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (560g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6–8 tbsp (90ml-120ml) heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkles, for adorning
For the Cake:
- Put together three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles within the backside and grease the perimeters. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and put aside.
- Add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract to a big mixer bowl and beat collectively till mild in shade and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Don’t skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs separately, mixing till largely mixed after every. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make certain all elements are effectively included.
- Add half of the dry elements to the batter and blend till largely mixed.
- Slowly add the milk and blend till effectively mixed. The batter will look curdled, however that’s okay.
- Add the remaining dry elements and blend till effectively mixed and clean. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make certain all elements are effectively included. Don’t over combine the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the desserts pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out with a couple of crumbs.
- Take away the desserts from the oven and permit to chill for about 2-3 minutes, then take away to cooling racks to chill utterly.
For the Frosting:
- To make the frosting, beat the butter till clean.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and blend till clean.
- Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt and blend till clean.
- Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and blend till clean. Add further heavy cream, as wanted to get the proper consistency of frosting.
To Assemble the Cake:
- To place the cake collectively, use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the desserts in order that they’re flat. These desserts don’t have a big dome, however I like to verify they’re utterly flat.
- Place the primary cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake spherical.
- Unfold about 1 cup of frosting evenly on high of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake and one other cup of frosting.
- High the cake with the remaining layer and frost the skin of the cake. Discuss with my tutorial for frosting a clean cake, if wanted.
- Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake.
- Pipe swirls of frosting across the high fringe of the cake. I used Ateco tip 844.
- Add a couple of extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake. Retailer in an air-tight container. The cake is greatest for 3-4 days.
- Serving Dimension: 1 Slice
- Energy: 977
- Sugar: 107.2 g
- Sodium: 223.3 mg
- Fats: 51.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 127.9 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 175.4 mg
Key phrases: vanilla layer cake, moist vanilla cake recipe, simple vanilla layer cake