These irresistible Oatmeal Caramel Bars have an oat crust and oat streusel sandwiching a gooey layer of each caramel and chocolate. This straightforward oat bars recipe with caramel makes the right dessert for any event!
I fell exhausting with my first chunk of those Oatmeal Carmelitas. It took me a few years to trace down the recipe and now it’s a favourite indulgence.
Why You Should Make
- The mixture of an oatmeal brown sugar crust, oozy caramel heart topped with chocolate chips, and oatmeal streusel is my thought of dessert bar cookie perfection. It was years after I first had a chunk of the deliciously candy and chocolate oatmeal bars earlier than I lastly stumbled upon the recipe.
- I’ve improved upon the unique recipe, a Pillsbury Bake-Off winner from 1967.
- As an alternative of a jar of caramel sauce, I melted Werther’s Unique Caramels made with actual cream and butter!
Somebody would drop off a plate of those Carmelitas, for the lecturers’ vacation luncheon yr after yr. I’d pattern with the opposite volunteers and wished somebody would share the recipe. I lastly discovered it!!! And now YOU can strive them, too.
These Oatmeal Carmelitas are straightforward to make and even simpler to eat. The identical combination makes the crust and the topping!
- First, combine collectively the dry components with the melted butter.
- Press half the crumbs into the ready pan. I prefer to line the pan with non-stick foil for simple cleanup and simple removing for slicing.
- Soften the caramels and cream to make the filling. This may be completed in a heatproof bowl within the microwave or by heating gently in a pan on the cooktop.
- Sprinkle the crust with chocolate chips, then drizzle the caramel combination over the crust, and add the remainder of the crumbs. Gently press down on the crumbs.
- Bake as directed and funky on a wire rack. For cleaner slices, chill earlier than slicing into bars. In fact, if you happen to can’t wait, dive proper in!!
- I discover that Werther’s Unique Caramels style nearer to home made than Kraft. However if you happen to can’t discover the previous, Kraft will work properly, too.
- Use Fast Oats not Outdated-Long-established Oats. The latter will make these powerful to chew.
- Make sure that to chill properly earlier than slicing. In any other case, the caramel will ooze out.
- If you wish to make a half batch, use an 8 x 8-inch pan.
Continuously Requested Questions
I grew up utilizing the two-syllable pronunciation, KAR-mehl, however my Father-in-Legislation at all times added the third syllable, KEHR-ah-mehl or KAR-ah-mehl. This debate has been happening for eons. I’d like to know your opinion!
They need to be saved in an hermetic container. In the event that they’re uncut, they’re positive at room temperature, however as soon as they’re lower into squares, the caramel will ooze a bit. At that time, retailer within the fridge however let come to room temperature earlier than serving.
Sure, they freeze properly if stored in an hermetic container. They’ll preserve properly for 2-3 months. Simply allow them to slowly defrost within the fridge in a single day earlier than serving.
You Might Additionally Like:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 5-ounce baggage of (15 ounces whole) packaged caramels, unwrapped
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil or spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put aside.
- In a big bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Stir to mix. Add melted butter and blend till properly mixed.
- Put aside half the crumbs, about 3 cups. Press remaining crumbs into the underside of the pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix caramels and cream. Warmth for about 5 minutes on 50% energy, stirring a few occasions through the melting course of, till caramels are melted and the combination is clean.
- Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips. Drizzle with melted caramel combination and prime with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool not less than one hour earlier than slicing (I prefer to refrigerate for not less than an hour to get cleaner slices).
I exploit Werther’s model chewy caramels.
Recipe tailored from Pillsbury.
Really helpful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 245Whole Fats: 14gSaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 5gLdl cholesterol: 25mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g