Served in a conventional clay jug, these fruity cantaritos are as boozy and genuine as these you’d discover by the seaside in Mexico. Filled with citrusy goodness, soda, and tequila, each sip is a refreshing, well-deserved trip.
Straightforward Home made Cantaritos Drink
Summer time trip isn’t right here but, however you’ll be able to nonetheless take pleasure in these refreshing cantaritos at dwelling that style similar to these you’d discover on a visit to Mexico. Served in Cantaritos de Barro, an earthen clay glass, it’s an genuine boozy drink full of plenty of citrus.
Crammed with lime, grapefruit, and orange juice, each sip is extremely tangy and fruity. To make issues further Mexican, a little bit of tequila reposado! You may also use white tequila if you wish to. Topped with grapefruit soda for a little bit of fizzy sweetness, it’s like a style of paradise.
With or with out a chili-rim, it’s the right straightforward recipe to beat the warmth and begin a celebration of 1 or two (or extra.) Garnished with lime and orange wedges for a pop of coloration, cantaritos will likely be your new favourite summer time cocktail.
What’s a Cantarito?
Cantaritos are a citrusy tequila-based drinks served in conventional clay jugs. They arrive from the state of Jalisco, the place tequila is made. They’re made with a mix of fruit juices (principally orange, grapefruit, and lime), soda, and alcohol for a refreshing cocktail that’s typically loved by the seaside or in Mexican eating places.
Cantarito vs Paloma vs Margarita
Palomas solely use tequila, grapefruit soda, and lime juice. Cantaritos use a mixture of lime, orange, and grapefruit juice along with the grapefruit soda and tequila.
Margaritas, alternatively, are extra boozy than they’re citrusy. Except for tequila, they use triple sec or cointreau. It additionally has no soda, solely lime juice.
Cantaritos are all about fruity flavors like orange, grapefruit, and lime. Verify the recipe card on the backside of the submit for full ingredient quantities.
- Tequila – I used Patron Reposado.
- Orange juice – Freshly squeezed is at all times greatest.
- Lime juice – This provides plenty of tartness, however lemon juice works too.
- Pink grapefruit juice – Don’t depart it out.
- Pink grapefruit soda – You may also substitute it for lime soda.
- Lemon and lime wedges
What’s The Greatest Tequila for Cantaritos?
Reposado tequila is greatest for making cantaritos as a result of it has a gentle taste and is less complicated on the palate than different tequilas. It has hints of vanilla and oak from the barrel it ages in for 2-11 months. As a result of the flavour isn’t overpowering, it permits the citrus to be the star of the drink.
If doable, keep away from tequila añejo and further añejo. They’ve robust notes of caramel and a bourbon-like style that gained’t pair so effectively with the fruit juice and soda.
Easy methods to Make Cantaritos
You don’t have to be a bar-tender to efficiently make these cantaritos. They solely require 4 steps!
- Add the tequila. Add ice to a cocktail shaker till it’s 1/3 full. Pour within the orange juice.
- Add the lime juice. Pour within the lime and grapefruit juices. Add the salt.
- Shake. Safe the lid and shake vigorously for 20 seconds or till the contents are chilled. Whereas this yields the most effective outcomes, simply skip the ice and stir the elements till effectively mixed should you don’t have a cocktail shaker.
- Add soda. Add ice to your serving glass. Pour within the cocktail and high it off with the soda. Don’t add ice to your glass should you’re not ingesting it immediately to maintain it from watering down.
- Serve. Garnish with citrus wedges and serve.
Cocktail Ideas & Variations
Swapping the tequila, chilling the glass, including a rim, and utilizing a stirrer will take these cocktails excessive.
- Chill it. For those who’re serving your cocktail within the conventional clay mug, soak it in chilly water for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
- Use white/silver tequila. Substitute tequila reposado for the silver sort and provides your drink a sharper, spicier end.
- Add a rim. Dip the rim of your glass with lime juice after which dip it into Tajín or one other Mexican chili powder. Let the glass air dry for 5-10 minute
- Use a stirrer. Including a tamarind straw to your cantarito will launch a little bit of spiciness in your drink, give it extra tang, and provide you with one thing to stir with.
What Glass Ought to You Use To Serve Cantaritos?
You’ll be able to serve this cocktail in “jarritos” (additionally known as cantaritos de barro) that are conventional earthen clay jugs. That is probably the most genuine strategy to take pleasure in them, however you should utilize highball glasses as a substitute.
Can I Make This For A Crowd?
Completely! Simply double or triple the recipe as many instances as wanted so that everybody will get a drink! For those who can, skip the ice till proper earlier than serving. That method you’ll be able to put together the cocktail prematurely after which individuals can add ice to their very own serving glasses.
Extra Straightforward Cocktail Recipes
- 2 ounces Patron Reposado tequila
- 1 1/2 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce pink grapefruit juice
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 4 ounces pink grapefruit soda
- Lemon and lime wedges, for garnish
- Ice, for serving
- Fill a cocktail shaker 1/3 with ice. Add the tequila, orange juice, lime juice, grapefruit juice and salt. Shake for about 20 seconds till the contents are chilled.
- Pour into your glass (or a clay mug for authenticity!) and high off with the soda. Add some cubed ice.
- Garnish with citrus wedges and serve.
Tajin Rim: For those who love a spicy kick, attempt riming your glass with tajin!
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 407Whole Fats: 2gSaturated Fats: 0gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 0gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 6gSugar: 52gProtein: 3g
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.